Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Mom Bod

It's summer, therefore it's hot, & it's bathing suit season. I have a boat, live by the river and love to swim. I've always been a bit of a sun goddess when it comes to warmer weather (yes I am aware I will pay for my overly sun exposed skin) but this year I'm not... no preamble is needed to explain I just had a baby. She is the most amazing thing in this world without a doubt, but my body post baby, is not. Confidence is something I have always struggled with. I think most females do.



I have rocked a bikini for years but I haven't always felt good about it. I've worked out and eaten healthy and lost weight to a certain goal to 'feel' better about myself. But I never do. The number can go down but the confidence still doesn't go up. Like most Mama's you can imagine that trying on a bathing suit is not exactly fun after giving birth. Hell, trying on pre-pregnancy clothes was a sad struggle (& still is at 3 months). And you know what? I'm tired of it. Tired of caring and being so hard on myself. It's not an easy overnight change. And the love and attention my husband gives me certainly helps. He likes the whole package so why shouldn't I?

After reading more and more articles and posts about the 'Dad Bod' I have to step back and laugh at myself. The 'Dad Bod' is a 'nice balance between a beer gut and working out' according to Mackenzie Pearson, the original genius who coined the term. And I have to say I agree with her! This shows a man who is busy in life and finds a balance. My hubby is the most amazing Dad in my eyes. He works his tail off and still comes home ready to give all his attention to our baby & to me. Now that is sexy.

So my question is where's the 'Mom Bod'? As if we don't place enough pressure on ourselves to look good or fit society's image of being a stick figure. (News flash skinny doesn't always mean healthy, and healthy doesn't always mean skinny.) Now I'm not trying to knock the women who find the time to workout and enjoy leading a healthy lifestyle, kudos to you! What I'm saying is, why shouldn't all Mama's be seen in the same light? Why shouldn't we be given more praise for throwing on a swimsuit regardless of size and jumping in the waves with our kids? Because at the end of the day, we're all busy, we've all got different lifestyles and priorities. So you know what's hotter than a woman hanging out at the pool in her itsy bitsy? A woman with a baby on her hip rocking that sweet tankini, a Mama slathering sunblock on her baby with a smile on her face, a Mom swimming with her little ones... Happiness creates confidence. And while we may not feel confident 100% of the time, I'm not going to care what anyone thinks of me and my awesome one piece anymore. I'm going to live life and be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment